Nursing Studies QQI Level 5 Course Code: (5M4349)
This programme introduces learners to the theories and practices of nursing care. It is a valuable foundation course for those who wish to pursue a career as a registered nurse or that as a healthcare assistant. The course incorporates a broad knowledge base, in all aspects of healthcare and provides students with a working knowledge of hospitals, nursing homes, disability and community based services.
- Candidates should be of Leaving Certificate standard or equivalent.
- Abbeyleix FETC welcomes applications from mature students. Applicants are assessed on relevant life and work experience.
- All entries are subject to interview.
- Applicants are required to complete an online assessment before commencing a course. This assessment confirms if the applicant has the required level of English and Maths (if applicable) to complete a Level 5 course.
- Garda Vetting: At the start of the course students are requested to complete the Garda Vetting process. Completing this process and receiving clearance is a mandatory requirement for work placement.
AREAS OF STUDY*
- Anatomy & Physiology (Mandatory)
- Human Growth & Development (Mandatory)
- Nursing Theory & Practice (Mandatory)
- Communications (Mandatory)
- Work Experience (Mandatory)
- Intellectual Disability Studies
- Palliative Care Support
- Safety & Health at Work
- Care of the Older Person
- Patient Manual Handling
- CPR & AED
- PHECC Training
*Subject to change
COURSE DURATION & FREQUENCY
1 academic year full time – 5 days per week
Holders of a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Nursing Studies may seek employment as a Healthcare Assistant in hospitals, nursing homes, community, and disability sectors.
EDUCATION PROGRESSION OPTIONS
Students can apply for entry, on a competitive basis, to the Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing and Midwifery in Irish Universities, Technological Universities and also to UK Universities.
There are no tuition fees payable to Abbeyleix Further Education and Training Centre. However, please note there are costs involved in taking a course e.g. materials, additional training and QQI exam fees. A student registration fee must be paid on joining the course.
VTOS/PLC places are available on the course (please contact the Centre for further information). The range of financial support available to students includes: Student Maintenance Grant (SUSI) and the Back to Education Allowance. For further information click on HEA Student Finance and SUSI
*Laois and Offaly Education and Training Board reserves the right to refuse course admission and/or completion.
Certificate in Nursing Studies Level 5
- Study Room
- Free Parking
- Disabled Parking
Helen Kavanagh, Centre Manager
Centre Opening Times
Read what our past students have to say about their experience with the Healthcare Programme courses at Abbeyleix FETC